My apologies for not blogging during the Oakland series. Friday night’s game got over really late, and now that I’m a working woman, it was all I could do to stay awake for the whole game. Composing my thoughts afterward was not happening. And then I only saw snippets of Saturday’s and Sunday’s games.
But here are some quick thoughts I have about the series …
- It was fun to see Nelson Cruz hit a few homers. Especially since they might be his last of the season (more on that later).
- Derek Holland pitched a magnificent game on Sunday. This is the pitcher we always hoped he would be. It’s great to see him maturing and making our vision a reality.
- Matt Garza should probably stay off Twitter and just pitch. I’m all for freedom of speech and players having personality, but he tweeted some pretty horrible things late Saturday night. I cringed a few times.
- I’m sad Elvis Andrus’ hitting streak is over, but it was good while it lasted.
- I wish Wash would get over the bunt, but I think that’s a lost cause. Maybe he’s just practicing for the World Series? I don’t know.
- It felt really good to gain two games on the division leaders.
Now, we’re heading into another series with the Halos. The team has to play well and keep supporting the pitchers with some runs. Although it’ll be interesting to see if they struggle with that at all now that Nelson Cruz is out.
In case you live under a rock, you know Cruz was among the players involved in the biogenesis case, and today, he was issued a 50-game suspension. He chose to accept it instead of appealing, and for that I’m glad. I’m disappointed in the choice he made and I only hope it doesn’t cost the team too much in the long run. If the Rangers can make the postseason, he’ll get to rejoin them. If not, we may not see Cruz in a Rangers uniform again. Either way, I’ll miss seeing him in the batter’s box and the outfield.
All that said, this is another busy week for me. And west coast games are not a good match for my early mornings. So instead of individual game wrap-up posts, I’ll do one at the end of each of the next two series.